A birth certificate registration in Bangladesh one of the most important legal documents a person can possess in Bangladesh. It serves as proof of your identity, citizenship, age, and parentage. A birth certificate is required for many purposes – applying for a passport, national ID card, school admission, jobs, bank accounts and more. However, many people in Bangladesh do not have a proper birth certificate, especially those from rural areas or born at home. This comprehensive guide explains everything you need to know about obtaining a birth certificate in Bangladesh
What is a Birth Certificate and Why is it Important?A birth certificate is an official document that records the date, time and place of a person’s birth. It contains identifying information about the child including full name, gender, date of birth, place of birth, parents’ names and residential address. It serves as legal proof of a person’s identity and age.
- Proof of citizenship: A birth certificate helps prove a person’s Bangladeshi citizenship and nationality, which is required for obtaining a passport, NID card, and enjoying various rights and privileges.
- School admission: Children need to submit a birth certificate when enrolling in schools in Bangladesh as proof of age and identity.
- Employment: Many employers require a copy of the birth certificate when hiring to verify the candidate’s identity and age.
- Public services: Birth certificates make it easier to obtain subsidized food, healthcare, microcredit and other social services in Bangladesh.
- Inheritance and property rights: A birth certificate helps establish inheritance and property ownership rights.
When Should You Apply for a Birth Certificate in Bangladesh?Ideally, parents should register the birth and obtain a birth certificate immediately after their child’s birth or within 1-2 months. The Birth and Death Registration Act in Bangladesh makes it compulsory to report births within 45 days. However, many parents in Bangladesh fail to do so due to lack of awareness, complex procedures, or inability to reach government offices. As a result, their children grow up without a birth certificate. If you or your child do not have a birth certificate, you can apply for one at any age. However, late registration often requires additional supporting documents and affidavits. The process also gets longer and more complicated as you wait. So, it is strongly recommended to obtain a birth certificate as early as possible.How to Unlock Facebook Account 2023-New Update (100% working)
Eligibility Criteria for a Birth Certificate in BangladeshThe key requirements to be eligible for a birth certificate in Bangladesh are:
- The birth took place within the territory of Bangladesh.
- You can provide documents supporting the exact birth date and parents’ identity.
- An authorized medical practitioner attended the birth and can certify it.
- The birth is not already registered in the country.
A Birth Certificate registration in Bangladesh
- Visit Online Birth Registration Website :https://bdris.gov.bd/br/application
- Select Address for Verification
- Fill the Online Application Form
- Print the Submitted Application
- Attach Supporting Documents
- Submit to Ward Office
- Collect Birth Certificate
- Attested copy of EPI (vaccination) card
- Attested copy of hospital birth certificate
- Other supporting documents if available
- Medical age certification from an MBBS doctor
- Clearance certificate from Ward Chairman
- School certificate
- Parent’s ID cards and birth certificates
- Birth Registration Fee: Tk 20 (at Union Parishad)
- Birth Certificate Fee: Tk 30 (at Upazila)
- Additional charges may apply at some offices
How to Check Birth Certificate Application Status?To check the status of your birth certificate application, you need to personally visit the Upazila Parishad office after 7 working days. The computerized database is not accessible online for tracking status. Bring your birth registration receipt and enquire at the certificate issuance desk. If your birth certificate is ready, verify all details immediately for accuracy before leaving the office. Validity and Renewal of Birth Certificates registration in Bangladesh Birth certificates issued by the proper authorities in Bangladesh do not have any official expiry date or need renewal. They remain valid permanently throughout the lifespan of the person. The details in the birth certificate like parent’s names also remain unchanged. However, you can apply for additions or corrections in case of errors. These need supporting documents and court affidavits.
How to Make Changes to the Birth CertificateYou may need to make changes to the birth certificate in certain situations, such as:
- Spelling errors in applicant’s or parents’ names
- Changes in residence or parents’ address
- Addition of missed details
- Application requesting changes
- Original birth certificate
- Supporting documents like NID card, affidavit, marriage certificate etc.
- Processing fee
What to Do if Birth Certificate is Lost or DamagedIf your original birth certificate is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, you can obtain a duplicate certificate by following these steps:
- File a General Diary (GD) at the local police station reporting the loss.
- Apply for a duplicate birth certificate at the Upazila Parishad office.
- Submit the GD copy, photocopies of NID cards, and processing fee.
- The office will issue a duplicate within 7 working days.